What is low-code?
Low-code development is a way for developers to design applications quickly and with minimum hand-coding. The alternative is writing thousands of lines of complex code and syntax (and then debugging it).
Low code in some situations is being positioned as a RAD-tool. As a matter of fact, there are indeed RAD-tools in the market where coding still is required. With the OutSystems Platform however, applications are being built visually and modular. Coding is being replaced by orchestrating mission-critical applications “High Productivity Platform as a Service”.
Using a low-code platform is similar to an IDE. It contains a suite of functionality that complements the way developers work and the tools they need. By central storage of the models in one single secured repository, check-in and check-out of models for teams, version- and configuration management, design of solid architecture is enforced.
Since it can completely replace the traditional method of hand-coding an entire app, skilled developers can work smarter and faster, not getting tied up with repetitive coding. The family of tools helps developers leap-frog all those specialized roles, skip the plumbing and re-implementation, Instead, they can go straight creating the 10% of an application that makes it different. But it’s so much more than a traditional IDE! Very simply put, low-code is the process of dragging and dropping visual blocks of existing code into a workflow to create applications. The entire development process is highly automated, as a result quality of the software has improved and focus is on the constantly changing business requirements.
For describing solutions a low-code platform makes use of domain specific languages at a higher abstraction level. As a consequence all people involved have a common understanding of the business issue. As much as possible the solution is being specified in a graphical model and by 1-click, automatically generated into code. Both the business issue and the IT-solution are being represented simplified. Both business and IT will have a good level of understanding. As a consequence the application will completely meet the requirements and expectations. On top of that the entire cycle of development and constant changes will be shortened, while integrations substantially are simplified.
IT-organisations will maintain knowledge of applications and become less depending of scarce developers or expensive and inefficient outsourced contracts. Developers no longer need to preserve knowledge of target technologies. The generated code will automatically being transformed into the latest technical standards. Systems are easier to understand, more standardized and less complex compared to traditionally built applications.
By building applications visually, you can develop applications at least 10x faster and get the best out of your skilled developers. This is a big reason why Gartner expects the low-code market to be responsible for more than 65% of the application development activity by 2024.
The advantages of low code development are various:
- Speed: With low-code, you can build apps for multiple platforms simultaneously and show stakeholders working examples in days, or even hours.
- Less resources: If you’re working on a big project, with low-code you no longer have to wait for developers with specialized skills to finish up another lengthy project, which means things get done more quickly and at a lower cost.
- Low risk/high ROI: With low-code, robust security processes, data integration, and cross-platform support are already built in and can be easily customized—which means less risk and more time to focus on your business.
- Faster start of project: Faster start of project: At most development environments it usually takes weeks to get the environment available to commence. An OutSystems-environment is directly provisioned. This saves lots of time!
- Rapid deployment: Launch day can be a nerve-wracking experience. With low-code, pre-deployment impact assessments make sure your apps work as intended. And if there are any unexpected behaviours, you can roll back changes with a single click.
Want to know more?
Looking for a tailor-made answer? Do contact us, without any further obligations or strings attached. We would be happy to inform you about our consultancy services.
Get in touch
+31 6 21 80 10 45